A large German pewter butchers guild tankard, Nuremberg 17th century with 18th Century additions.
Also called in German a Zunftkanne or Schleifkanne.
Removable pewter plaque dated 1671 and engraved with a cow.
Bronze tap with a Nuremberg makers mark HC(star)
On the lid a large lion figure holding a shield with names of people in the guild, and dated 1671.
The feet of the tankard are Lions holding a shield and engraved with images of cows and hatchets.
Several Nuremberg touch marks on the tankard. Inside on the bottom is a rosette.
On the shield Nuremberg makers mark JC
On the handle German makers mark FEIN ZINN – IAS.
The tankard is 62,5 cm high and 33,5 cm wide.
Weight is 8.4 Kilograms.
Overall in a good condition.
Almost a identical one is in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.